Sunday, June 28, 2009

90.5 Miles, 7.5 Pounds, and 2 Weeks

Had a strong week of running/training. Total mileage was 90.50 on 7 runs of 16, 18.50, 3.50,16, 5, 3, and 28.50.

The week started off with the solstice challenge, and I was able to spend 95% of the day outdoors, part of the hours being spent running 16 miles.

The next day I felt strong so put in one of my best hill sessions, running up and down at the arboretum for 2 hours and 45 minutes.

I took an easy day of 3.5 miles on Tuesday.

Wednesday was another high point session, as I ran 16 miles, with a track session thrown in the middle of the workout. At the track I completed 4 x 1200m in 5:15, 5:02, 4:58, and 4:45. I was proud that I was able to run a track session without giving too much effort. It was faster than normal running, yet, the intensity ranged from 60-80%, which left me feeling strong and pleasantly fatigued. After the track session I was feeling good enough to run a shortened South Farms loop of 8 miles.

Thursday and Friday were recovery days of 5 and 3 miles.

And yesterday I ran the best long run effort of my life, covering 28.5 miles in a mere 7 hours :) I did take some short breaks along the way when I passed the monkey bars to do some pullups and dips, and when adding in the refueling and water breaks, along with 90 + degree heat/high humidity, I actually was not as slow as it appears. But it was gentle enough to allow me to wake up this morning not feeling stiff or sore, as if I had done 8 miles instead of 28.

When I weighed in this morning I was happy to see that I have lost 7.5 pounds since I started running again back in late April. I am still a couple of pounds over racing weight, but I am moving in the right direction.

With the Devil's Lake 50k two weeks away, I feel strong and ready to run. There isn't much need for a taper because I currently feel fresh and energetic. I will just keep running as I feel. I am having too much fun to take a break :)

2 comments:

Melinda said...

Woo hoo!!

I'm so happy and excited for you, James! Great to see that you're back to doing what you love and making such excellent progress at it!

I myself signed up for the San Francisco Marathon today. It pales in comparison to your current exploits, but I thought I'd keep you updated, at least. :) Expect a race report in one month!

704Studio said...

Way to go Melinda - with all the stuff going on in San Fran, it is amazing you have the energy to run a marathon! I know you will do well, you have that natural marathon stride and determination. I'll be checking on your blog to see how the move went, and how you fare in the race. Have a great month of training....