Wednesday, July 8, 2009

In 3 or 4 Days

Just returned from a refreshing adventure in Cumberland Falls, Kentucky - hiking, light running (I'm supposed to be tapering a bit), square dancing, and watching the moonbow - lots of fun.



Hiking the Cumberland, No. 1



Hiking the Cumberland, No. 2



Hiking the Cumberland, No. 3,
The Ascent


Hiking the Cumberland, No. 4,
Fungus


When I was resting in my lodge room I studied the Devil's Lake 50k race packet. I have read many race reports about the DWD series of races, and most include an angry snippet about getting lost in the woods. With this in mind I have made sure to memorize the course map, knowing the sequence of aid stations/legs, the elevation gains and losses, the half way point, and the danger spots for getting lost (the campground at mile 10 and the off trail section at miles 13-18).

While my fitness is still building to its peak, which I am hoping will be reached in the month of August, I am feeling good about this Saturday's race. My legs are fresh, I have 5 or 6 speed sessions under my belt to go along with many medium and long distance slogs run under the summer sun. I am heat acclimatized, distance ready, and my mental focus is sharp and ready for the challenge.

The only weak point in the game plan is my right knee. While it is 99% healed, it is not its old self, and perhaps may never be. It has thus far survived all of my hard training, so it is time to put it to the test. If I am not to finish this race the most likely reason will be the knee breaking down. I am not much concerned about the other factors. Heat, poison ivy, ticks, mosquitoes, humidity, bruises, extreme fatigue, steep hills and bluffs, getting lost - I want to be challenged by these things, placing my running spirit into the fire of pain and suffering, to live in the moment of the trial, and to perhaps emerge stronger, better, more authentic, at peace with the universe and the uncertainty of life and death.

The ultra race run as a micro version of an intense ordeal, a war, a nightmare which eventually blossoms into a sunny, reality filled day - a moving meditation, a circling of the sun, the heart, the cell - an atom of life.



in 3 or 4 days - Wim Mertens

2 comments:

Clara said...

In regards to getting lost- beware of getting in long conversations with people; you'll stop paying attention to the markers. Good luck and have fun with it (and don't forget the bug spray)!

704Studio said...

Thanks Clara, I'm just heading out now, thanks for the reminder about the bug spray :)

I will try my best with paying attention to the markers, but I know once my mind gets fatigued I will probably end up on the wrong path - at least I will not be surprised when it happens.

Hope your recovery is going well, and good luck at your next race!