Sunday, June 7, 2009

Jumping Into the Well of Exhaustion

My fitness is improving, but I feel I can still make a lot of progress. However, having run 73 miles last week, with long adventure runs of 19 and 22 miles, I wonder how I am able to run that far while being overweight and out of shape. I have been smart with recovery sessions, running 3-5 miles on days when my legs need rest. But once I feel energized my body takes over and grinds away the hours, the time going by without much effort.

Today I planned to run up and down the arboretum hill for 60-90 minutes, but feeling smooth and energetic, I stopped after 2 hours and 20 minutes. I never fell too deep into the well of exhaustion, and thus I probably could have continued running the hill for another 1 or 2 hours, but I played it safe and stopped while still feeling fresh and lively.

This Saturday I will be running the Lake Mingo 7 mile trail race. I am definitely not ready to run a fast race, but I am healthy and fit enough to participate, and I do miss the competition at races.

I have been contemplating running a 50k on July 11th at Devil's Lake, WI. It is part of the series of races called Dances with Dirt. The course is supposed to be somewhat difficult, which is intriguing, but there will be multiple distance races going on at the same time, along with relay teams. It will take a strong mental effort to keep a proper pace for 30 miles as 4 mile relay runners go flying by. The main thing holding me back is money, but I hate not doing something that I know I would love just because I am short on cash.

I was at the Farmer's Market yesterday and I ran into Barry H., a local runner who ran Howl at the Moon a few years ago. I told him I had signed up for the Howl this year, and he high fived me because he said he was running it this year also. I am looking forward to seeing Barry there, along with the 248 other runners who will attempt to run 8 hours in heat and humidity - what a day it is going to be!

No comments: