Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Preparation

The month of May was a good one, as I slowly worked my way back into an average sort of running fitness. Weekly miles were 18, 33, 38, and 55. I usually ran 2 medium-long runs per week. Last week the 2 long days were 18 and 18.75 miles.

I started the month of June on the right foot, slogging 19 miles yesterday in a humid 92 degrees. After runs like yesterday's I make sure to soak in a hot tub for 30 minutes immediately after, then to sit down in a chair and roll my legs with an ice bottle for another 30 minutes. I have read that a hot bath will only make the leg soreness worse, but I discovered that the combination of hot water followed by an ice massage leaves my legs feeling fresh the next day. It is similar to the method of the Fins, who after a tough run will sit in a hot sauna, followed by a jump into a cold lake.

I have 2 more months to train for the Howl at the Moon 8 hour run. Even though I had to take 3 months off at the beginning of 2009, it is not like I am starting from zero. A 3 month break cannot erase all the effects of having run 450 consecutive days, numerous short races, and 2 ultra marathons.

My main concern at this point is my weight, I am still 9-10 pounds over, but this past week I made some progress in eliminating some of the fatty foods (nuts,cheese) that I got into the habit of eating over the winter. With my weekly mileage going up, and the fat calories going down, I think I should be at a good running weight by August.

2 comments:

JD said...

Nice job on a successful recovery! You're really jumping right back into it with the long runs. It's inspiring!

704Studio said...

Thanks, JD, things are looking brighter these days, and I am looking forward to the summer racing season.