Friday, March 27, 2009

Spring & All

you asked to look at a nature poem and I have enclosed one for you to look over. you've got to realize that they ran the nature poem boys out a little before 1914, and it's a little late in the day; in fact, it's about 11:47 pm.
Charles Bukowski, June, 1965


Photograph found in my studio :


Outskirts of Thomasboro


The weather has been great this week, 50-60 degrees in the day, 40's in the evening. Today, unbelievably, was my 5th consecutive day of running. The mileage for the first 4 days were 3, 2, 3, 3.

When I go out for a run, my sights are always set on making it to the South Farms road via the short route, which means I have to run 3.5 miles to get to the road entrance. Lately I have been been getting close, just a 1/2 mile short.

Today I was running along under the warm sun, a nice northern breeze pushing my pace. I was moving pretty quick, about 8:00-8:15 pace (quick for being injured), legs feeling strong, knee not so bad or wobbly like it was 3 weeks ago at the cemetery.

When I got to the arboretum I circled around, and was expecting to stop at the usual 3 mile mark. My legs still felt good, however, so I kept going, getting deliciously close to the South Farms. When I reached the arboretum maintenance building I smiled because I could see the pathway leading to the road.

I got onto the pathway and waved to the hungry cows. It has been so long since I have seen the cows. I missed them. I could see the road, and I just could not believe that I was getting there. I was moving faster because the wind picked up, pushing me along.

I slowed down at Windsor Road, but when the light turned green I bolted and raised my arms in triumph as I felt the crushed gravel beneath my feet. My NB 790's felt great, light and minimal, shaping my feet to the stones.

I ran along the South Farms Road comfortably, watching the greening fields move slowly by. When I passed the research houses I waved to the dog, whom I love to tease. I whistled as loud as I could, but could not get the dog to stir from its lush, grassy resting place.

I turned into the corn fields, sweating. The cool breeze struck my face, drying the moisture dripping from my brow. I was starting to feel tightness in my knee , but I didn't care, I knew this was my best week of running so far, and when I stopped I had run 4.75 miles.

Feeling like a runner again, I didn't like that I had to walk 3 miles home, but I stopped at the arboretum and did some strength exercises and stretches to loosen my knee.

I will probably take the next day or two off, time to let my knee recover from 5 days of work!



2 comments:

JD said...

:-)

I just noticed there's a Jimmy John's in the town I work in. I think it's new. It's in a busy shopping district, so it could have been there 3 months ago for all I know. Anyway, I thought of you when I saw it. I'll have to go in sometime for a sandwich.

704Studio said...

JD, the sandwich will taste better if you run 13 or more miles before stopping in.... :)